Saturday, December 15, 2012

1.8 Pitter Patter


Sun Li stayed sick throughout her pregnancy, so we shoved the wedding until after our second child was born.

Gavin was an easy baby.  He slept, ate, and pooped.  Not much more.  However as a toddler, he was difficult to train.  No potty could contain him and forget about learning words. It was like fighting with a parrot that only knew one word, "NO!"  Maybe we could have a silent household? Pretty sure Sun Li wouldn't be happy.

Every once in a while Gavin would spit out something that sounded like trash can or gloves.  I'll take what I can get.

While I worked with the last of our wood on a basement,  Sun Li finished teaching Gavin to walk.  He was much more cooperative with her.  I might have envied her a bit. Gavin always melted into her arms. I wanted a daughter. 

With the lack of knowledge I had about Gavin, We didn't have very many things to entertain him.  However, Sun Li was dead set on giving Gavin the best shot at life.  She quickly went to work with a peg game to sharpen his logic skills.  He immediately took to it.

Gavin also loved to be read to. With a mother that could draw and a father that could write, the only thing stopping him from knowledge was how fast we could put out books for him. 

I had to take her word that this pregnancy was harder.  But I was determined to take care of her every little whim. Even if it meant I was making mac and cheese in my underware at two in the morning.

Construction was finished on the house just in time for baby number two.  I constantly wondered secretly if was normal to have a water illusion on your stairs.  I think we're good.

Sun Li spent nine hours in labor.  It was times like this I wished we lived with civilization. Medical technology could take the pain away, but we didn't have that technology. So Sun Li relaxed in bed until a baby boy graced us with his presence.  With a small talk we decided to name him Graham, after my father.

I picked up a few extra writing assignments to help save for the wedding.  I spent each day writing while Sun Li worked with the boys.  Writing was usually pretty relaxing for me.  We decided early that we were going to homeschool the boys -not that there were too many other options.  Sun Li took this serious and started teaching Gavin as soon as he could talk.  Days were usually quiet so when I heard Sun Li's high pitched screams I immediately jumped from my seat.

Outside I found Sun Li holding her mouth.  I followed her eye sight and a rock sank to the bottom of my stomach. Just out in the ocean laid Gavin curled in a ball. I couldn't tell what happened next because the next thing I knew, I was in water to my knees with Sun Li screaming hysterically behind me.

I pulled Gavin toward my body and swam back to shore. "He's not breathing," I said, handing him off to Sun Li to catch my breath.  Sun Li had calmed herself and rushed the limp boy into the house.  I followed her and watched as she quickly pumped his stomach and listened to his breath.  Soon I heard Gavin gag and let out a high pitched wail. Never have I wanted to hear a wail as much as I did at that moment. I relaxed a bit and Sun Li's soft smile let me know the danger had passed.

Sun Li watched Gavin with hawk like precision and Graham never left her hip.  I was worried for her.  I slipped on my writing.  Right now my family was most important. And with Sun Li feeling guilty and Gavin refusing showers, I had to step up to keep the family balanced.  Within a few days, Gavin had all but forgot about the accident and Sun Li started to relax. 

Ever since Gavin learned to talk, he constantly jabbered on about how the carburetor is connected to the manifold and the manifold is connected to the engine. It sounded a lot like a rhyme I sang as a kid, but I really don't remember those being the words. I really wasn't sure how he learned all that seeing as we had provided him with all his toys.

With the money we had saved for the wedding and our over abundance of produce from the garden, Sun Li was able to bake a birthday cake for Gavin.  It was a small party for just us, but we had plenty to be thankful for as Gavin started on a new path in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment