Sunday, November 18, 2012

1.7 A Welcome Return

I returned home to find new furniture on the island, along with a third person. While I was gone Sun Li gave birth to a baby boy, Gavin. Apparently, that's what all the sickness was about.  Glad I am male.

It was time to start on our house.

Even with the limited space, I built us a tiny house with room for more upgrades. I envisioned a small living room and maybe a basement.

Gavin wasn't a fussy baby. Which was good because I had  been gone a while, and I was ready to christen the new house.

Gavin's coo's filled the empty space of our new house.  It felt almost right.  I had a beautiful girlfriend and a charming baby boy.  I knew I wanted the next step but caring for our family was tough.  I had a small garden, and we had just spent all our savings on a house.  I would be a failure if I couldn't support my family.  Then where would we go? Simla Chang? Forget that. Those people are crazy.  I had to make it work. Plus, how could I make Sun Li my wife if I could barely keep food on the table?

 It may just be 'new dad stress' but raising a baby was tough.  I feared how bad it would be if Gavin wasn't so quiet.  I hoped he'd keep it up but he was slowly approaching the terrible two's. 

Things started to look up for us.  I was hoping to throw a party for Gavin.  Sun Li started selling her paintings.  I hated to see many of them go because they were beautiful.  But each little bit helped.  My garden slowly started to produce a surplus.  Although I couldn't sell the extras until our next trip abroad, it was nice to know I had plenty of food to feed my family.

With money coming in, I started to plan how I would propose to Sun Li.  I was thinking about next to a pyramid in Al Simhara. Maybe in a tomb?  We could marry there too.  Gavin could be the ring bearer!
It was finally Gavin's birthday and although we hadn't enough to throw him a party, he aged up well on his own.  Quiet a handsome fellow with his head full of hair. Charming Gavin, charming.

Sun Li had her own little surprise for me, although I probably should have noticed earlier.   She was pregnant with number two! I was over come with emotion.  With Gavin, I was gone for her pregnancy. I felt like I had missed out on everything.  This time around I would be here for her.


In a moment of ecstasy, I dropped to one knee.  So it wasn't Al Simhara and this wasn't a tomb, but this was my home with the woman I wanted to be my wife and my two children. It was the perfect moment.  "I don't want to wait any longer.  Sun Li, will you be my wife?"

_________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment